With a patch, SABnzbd will announce itself via Bonjour. That way, you can find SABnzbd's web interface easily on your LAN. No need to hassle with IP addresses and port numbers.
I've tested this patched SABnzbd on Ubuntu. Here's how to use it:
- Make sure the plain SABnzbd is working on your system.
- The "SABnzbd Host" under Config -> General should state 0.0.0.0 (or ::) so that SABnzbd listens on the LAN interface
- Install an additional library: sudo apt-get install libavahi-compat-libdnssd1
- Download the patched SABnzbd 0.6.10 here and unpack it. Go into that directory
- Stop the plain SABnzbd if it is running
- Start the patched SABnzbd called "SABnzbd-bonjour.py", which you can find in the unpacked directory
SABnzbd should now advertise itself via Bonjour. Install and start avahi-discover to see it. See the included screenshot.
If you want to see Bonjour services from within Chrome/Chromium or Firefox (on any OS), go to http://dnssd.me/ and install the DNSSD extension. This should work on Linux (with Avahi installed), Mac OS X, and Windows (with itunes installed). See the included screenshot for an example.
Some remarks about using this patched SABnzbd on other operating systems:
- Other Linux versions: it should work after you install the needed libraries for avahi and the avahi-compat stuff
- Unix versions (for example embedded on NAS devices): it all depends on the libraries
- Mac OS X: I guess the patched SABnzbd should work if you can get the plain SABnzbd-source-version working. Please give feedback
- Windows: I have no idea as I don't know how to run SABnzbd from source on Windows. If you're going to try this, first make sure itunes is installed
Feedback welcome in the comments
PS: there's very little IPv6 in this stuff, but it's quite network oriented, so I posted it here.